22nd Annual Hellam Competition
March 3, 2018
2018 Competition Information
Barnett Recital Hall | Evangel University | Springfield, Missouri
All semi-finalists shall receive an honorarium of $300.00.
**May be invited to perform with the Springfield Symphony Orchestra (SSO) in the 2018-19 season. (If the winning major work has already been programmed as part of the 2018-2019 SSO season, the winner must perform another major work).
The First Prize winner will receive $3,500 immediately after the competition and a contract to perform with the Springfield Symphony Orchestra. The remaining $3,500 will be awarded after the SSO performance. Failure to fulfill this engagement would result in forfeiture of the $3,500.
Must be an instrumentalist between 18 and 26 years of age and enrolled in undergraduate or graduate studies, or must have graduated within the last year. (Exceptions are at the discretion of the Hellam Committee.) We will not be accepting vocalists this year.
Each entrant must submit at least one movement of a standard, multi-movement, or large-scale, major work, with orchestral (piano) accompaniment through Acceptd. Selections submitted through Acceptd must be from the major work entered on the application.
Applicants should avoid selecting the following concertos as these works have been recently performed at the SSO:
- Shostakovich Cello Concerto No. 1
- Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto
- Mendelssohn Violin Concerto
- Bruch Violin Concerto No. 1
- Gershwin Piano Concerto in F
To submit audition materials:
- Please go to https://app.getacceptd.com/hellamcompetition.
- Under “Start an Application,” select “2018 Hellam Young Artists’ Competition.”
- Click the green “Apply to” button below to begin.
- You will be directed to a page where you will create an Acceptd account or login to your existing account. A valid email is required (check spam folder).
- You will be directed back to the Hellam Young Artists’ Competition application page. Click the green “Start New Application” button to begin uploading your contact information and audition materials.
- Fill out all fields, upload your materials, and submit the $130 fee.
Top ten (10) entrants will be notified by Jan. 6, 2018, of their invitation to perform in the semi-finals on the morning of March 3, 2018, in Springfield, Missouri.
The first three (3) alternates will be informed of their status by Jan. 6, 2018.
Acceptance of the invitation to compete in the semi-finals must be received by Jan. 20, 2018.
If available, and desired, housing will be provided from Mar. 2-4, 2018.
Semi-finalists must provide three (3) copies of their score; one for each adjudicator.
Owing to the very small pool of available accompanists in Springfield, applicants are strongly urged to bring their own accompanists. Applicants who wish to explore locally available accompanists should contact Judy Hellam at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Semi-finalists will perform one movement (memorized), with piano accompaniment of the major work originally submitted through Acceptd, the morning of Mar. 3, 2018.
Finalists will perform the complete work, with piano accompaniment, the afternoon of Mar. 3, 2018.
Adjudicators will confer and award prizes immediately following the completion of the performances.